Thursday, September 30, 2010

Media Meditation #2: Flipping Out

Flip Video cameras make people do strange things.
(Image found on Google)

Flip Video cameras.

They're pretty awesome.

Don't believe me? Ask...


Oprah.
She advocated them on her show, prompting a boom in sales for Cisco (Owner of Flip Video.)

(Image found on Google)

Plug the Flip into your computer, it opens video up in Windows Media Player ready for easy editing. Getting a Flip video onto Youtube is a 10 minute process, if even.

The simplistic design is what makes the Flip appealing to so many people. Few buttons make the Flip a tool that anyone can use, really. My friend borrowed one from his dad's car dealership and has taken some awesome footage. He also consistently puts his clothes on backwards without realizing. Here's one of many great moments captured on his Flip:



Play in HD to truly Flip out.
(Video located on Youtube)

I also fear the Flip. It is so damn easy to use that I'm afraid I'll be caught off guard by one. Who knows, in the near future people might be flipping out their Flip on the down low and causing ruckus like this ABC producer.

Look at the utter concentration as she record this candid footage.
(Image found on Google)

This article describes the charades behind this improper Flip usage.

The Flip is now my go-to for any recording needs. It's all around simplicity combined with HD video is hard to pass up. Even my man Rob Williams advocates them, using one to record class projects and put them up on Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. I am your man, Sam.

    And I like my Flip.

    Excellent blogging here - readable, witty, and descriptive.

    Bravo!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete